Handmade wholemeal pasta and tomato sauce with hidden veggies for fussy toddlers.
- 500g plain flour (a mix of wholemeal and white)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 Large eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 1 Small carrot, grated
- 1/2 Small red capsicum
- 1/2 Small onion
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- Mix the flour, salt, olive oil, eggs and milk until it forms a dough (you may need to add some extra water or to make it come together for a smoother dough – wholemeal sucks up a lot of fluid!).
- Knead 10 minutes until dough is springy and elastic, then let rest. I usually leave at least an hour.
- Break into pieces and feed them through your pasta machine, on successively thinner settings until you’re satisfied (I usually go to at least 3).Then feed through the spaghetti attachment.
- In a small pot, add tomatoes, carrot, capsicum, onion, garlic and a splash of olive oil, if you like, and heat until the veggies are soft.
- Blend in a blender or food processor until pureed.
- Meanwhile, heat a big pot of boiling water and a pinch of salt.
- Cook spaghetti 3 minutes or until soft.
- Mix all together and serve with extra cheese.