Ok so a few months ago, I travelled to Portland to attend the World Domination Summit, not knowing what to expect. Apparently it’s all about “living a remarkable life in a conventional world”, and I definitely met some remarkable people on my journey. The best fun by far though was hearing Robby Novak, aka Kid President speak.
The second best fun was hearing Brad Montague speak – Kid President’s brother in law, and partner in crime. They both shared the hour together, and it was honestly one of the best presentations I’ve ever been witness to. So much so that after a few beverages later on that evening, I may have chased Brad out of a party and forced him to be my friend.
He had the most hilarious, heartwarming, and humble story and between the two of them (and bloody Jeremy Cowart later) I went through about three packets of tissues.
If you haven’t seen Kid President’s videos, stop reading this and go watch. Start with his Pep Talk. Such a legend of a kid.
So while he and Brad were on stage, this is what they taught me:
- Dance (“There’s always a reason to complain and there’s always a reason to dance. Choose to dance,” Brad says).
- Treat everybody awesome
- I can’t dance. Robby tried to teach us some moves and I was HOPELESS.
- He has a girlfriend!
- He prefers ninjas over pirates
- His advice to moms in song form: keep cleaning the house and keep cleaning the poop.
- If you take up space – you matter.
- Choose love
- Be a joy rebel
- Lay off the all caps (no idea what this means, my notes are ridiculous. Maybe they were talking about YouTube comments? Cos that shit is wack).
- Hug the haters
- The meaning of life is truly to be loved and to love. Reflect that.
- The way to Beyonce is through chicken nuggets (Girl couldn’t say no to that)
- Apparently you get really good hamburgers after surgery. Robby has osteogenesis imperfecta, which means he has brittle bones that break easily. He’s had more than 70 surgeries, and when asked if he was a bit sick of the hospital visits, he was like “nah, the free hamburgers!”. In other words: look for the awesome.
- Adults say: I’m gonna try to be a kid just like this guy (me too!)
- I can cry for one hour straight.
- His favorite cereal is Froot Loops.
- Money ain’t everything. “You’re in charge of yourself, you don’t need money to be in charge”, he says.
- And his mic drop, walk off the stage ending: “Don’t make money, make a difference. We out.”
- I don’t ovate for just anyone (everyone gave every speaker a standing ovation at every session. Brad and Robby got one of only two ovations I gave all weekend).
- iPhone autocorrect doesn’t like ovate.
If you need a good laugh and a dose of perspective, go watch the Kid President videos. You’ll never be the same again!
*image via Armosa Studios