Get your Christmas baking on with these festive biscotti treats, resplendent with red and green specks and covered in glittery chocolate.
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- 3 cups plain flour (plus extra for the bench)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 large eggs
- zest of 1 large orange
- 1/2 cup pumpkin seeds
- 250g dark chocolate
- Sprinkles or other decorations
- Preheat oven to 180C/375F and line two large baking trays with a mat or baking paper.
- Place the cranberries and water in a small bowl and leave for 15 minutes until they rehydrate – you can skip this step, but they’re nicer this way.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour and baking powder.
- In another large bowl, cream the butter and sugar (you can use a mixer for this). When light and fluffy, add eggs, one at a time. Add vanilla and orange zest to the butter, sugar and eggs and mix.
- Gently mix in the flour mixture.
- Add in your DRAINED cranberries, and your greenery (in this case, pumpkin seeds), and mix.
- Divide the dough into two, and shape each piece into a flat kind of log on the tray as in the photos above. You want to be able to make them wide enough to make large biscotti.
- If you’re making these without the chocolate, you can brush them at this stage and sprinkle them with some crunchy sugar.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until golden brown.
- Cool on wire racks until you can handle them without burning yourself!
- With a bread knife, cut diagonally into slices a little less than a centimetre wide and place on your prepared trays from earlier.
- Bake again for 30 minutes, but do keep an eye on them – you want them to be crispy, but not blackened! Maybe turn the oven down if you’re worried at any stage.
- Cool on a wire rack.
- Heat the chocolate over a double boiler or in the microwave and dip your biscotti into it however you want.
- Lay on prepared trays and sprinkle over with edible glitter, sprinkles, or other decorations
- Leave until cool/set!
Keywords: easy biscotti, edible gifts, chocolate dipped biscotti, christmas cookies,