An absolute breakfast staple, this cheesy polenta topped with fried egg and chilli is about to be your new best friend.
- 125g polenta
- 2 cups/500ml water
- 1 cup/250ml milk
- 50g salted butter
- 125g of your favourite sharp cheese
- 50g parmesan-style cheese
- flaky sea salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 large onion, peeled and diced
- 1/2 green capsicum, diced fine
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1–2 eggs per person
- sliced green onions
- sliced chilli or dried chilli flakes
- Bring the water to a boil in a large saucepan and add a pinch of salt
- Pour in the polenta and milk and give it a good stir – I start with a whisk and end up with a rubber spatula
- Reduce heat to a simmer and allow the polenta to absorb all the liquid. It’s going to take 35-45 minutes and should be soft and creamy, with no grittiness left. Stir from time to time and make sure you scrape the bottom so it doesn’t burn
- When it’s creamy and ready to go, add the grated cheese, butter, and seasonings. Stir until cheese is melted and taste – you may need to add more cheese or salt. Or both.
- While the polenta is cooking, saute the onion, garlic and green capsicum in olive oil over medium heat until softened and starting to brown. Set aside.
- When the polenta has cooked, add the onion, garlic and capsicum, and stir to combine. Pour into a shallow dish (lined with baking paper for ease of removal) and leave in the fridge to set. You can leave this overnight for breakfast the next day.
- When fully set, cut into slices and fry in a little butter and olive oil, turning occasionally until golden on all sides.
- Fry the eggs and top each serving of polenta with one or two.
- Sprinkle the green onion, chilli, salt and pepper over the top.
Keywords: cheesy polenta, savoury polenta, polenta and eggs, polenta for breakfast