This is totally one of those super-quick weeknight pasta dishes I love whipping up when there’s not much else going on (or I’m in a hurry. Or alone). While the spaghetti is boiling, you saute your veg in olive oil and garlic, and just before serving, throw in some cheese and a little of the pasta water and you’ve got yourself a fabulous, simple, but delicious sauce.
The chilli is entirely optional but I approve, and both fresh and dried work really well. I also love to throw in some cherry tomatoes (both zucchini and tomatoes are out of season currently, sadly, so it will be a while until I have this on my plate again!) and a couple of capers – sometimes change up the cheese – but always keep it relatively simple.
In winter I often sub spinach or broccoli for the zucchini, and it’s exceptional with mushrooms in autumn. I swap out the mint for thyme, in that case. SO EASY, SO GOOD!Print
A very simple weeknight pasta dish that will be on your table in minutes. Zucchini, lemon and chilli spaghetti in summer, and changeable as the seasons roll on.
- About 80g of dried spaghetti, whatever you think works for one serve
- 1 zucchini, sliced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 50g goat cheese
- zest and juice of 1/2 a lemon
- chilli flakes
- Bring to the boil a large pot of salted water.
- When boiling, add the spaghetti and stir so it doesn’t stick to the bottom.
- Meanwhile, heat the olive oil over medium heat in a large frying pan.
- Saute the zucchini and garlic gently until soft.
- Just before the spaghetti is ready, turn the heat up just a little in the frying pan and add the goat cheese, lemon zest, chilli, and lemon juice.
- Add a splash of the pasta water and cook until the ingredients amalgamate to make a smooth sauce.
- Immediately turn the heat back down and add the drained pasta, salt and pepper.
- Stir to coat the pasta and check the seasoning.
- Serve with extra cracked black pepper and a handful of small fresh mint leaves.
Keywords: vegetarian pasta, zucchini spaghetti, easy weeknight meals, weeknight spaghetti, veggie spaghetti