I’m in Queensland at the moment, eating all the fresh fruit and drinking all the cold beer, because it’s WARM, y’all. Spring is sprung and all that. A very nice respite from winter’s end in Melbourne, which still won’t properly end until about December. The day before I left, it was heading into the 20s so I forced everyone outside in shorts and a t-shirt to finally get some sun on our skin. Glorious, I tell you!
When I made this burrito-style bowl for lunch the other day, and popped it on my cheery yellow outdoor mat, I could see my future: long, hot days; taking all meals outdoors, and eating colourful crunchy veg like my life depended on it. Cold beer too, probably. If you’re in good weather already, or you can feel it’s on its way, this one is for you.
You might also remember the day my much-loved and constantly-used Global Chef’s knife broke. A sad day all round. After 8 solid years of manhandling in the kitchen (and occasionally when parcels arrived) and only being sharpened twice, it was foiled by a piece of lemongrass I was trying to bash. I kind of stared at it a bit stupidly, trying to comprehend how such a precision instrument could snap clean in half like that. Perhaps I don’t know my own strength.
The lovely people at Your Home Depot reached out after that and said they could not only replace my knife, but they could furnish me an entire Global Takashi knife block, and also one for my readers, if I’d like to collaborate?
I think you can guess my answer 😉
Look at them. So beautiful, and they slice like a dream.
I feel like Queen of the kitchen with so many tools at my disposal. I’ve never had a paring knife before – I don’t know how I ever lived without it! The scissors just about make me cry with joy.
I truly loved my Global, which I received as a wedding present all those years ago. It was such a versatile, everyday knife and use it every day I did. I was so grateful to replace it, as it served me so well for so long.
Below is the recipe for my spicy black bean quinoa bowls (recipe for the spicy black beans is here), and stay tuned at the end for the chance for one of you to win a Global Takashi Knife Block for your very own self! You too can cry with joy the next time you easily slice through a ripe tomato without squashing the bejesus out of it.
- 2 cups uncooked quinoa, rinsed
- 4 cups water
- 1 pinch sea salt
- 2 cups Spicy Black Beans
- 1/4 Small red cabbage (sliced finely)
- 1/4 cup rice wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/4 cup coriander, chopped
- 1 Large green onion, sliced thinly
- 1/2 Small garlic clove, minced
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 Large lime, cut into portions, lengthways
- Assorted toppings (cheese, sour cream, extra coriander, avocado, sprouts, pumpkin seeds, etc)
- In a large pot, add the quinoa and 4 cups water. Add a pinch of salt and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to the lowest that you can get it, and put a lid on the pot. Simmer until all quinoa has absorbed all the water, about 10-15 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and leave to sit for five minutes and then fluff with a fork. Set aside.
- In a small pot, heat the rice wine vinegar, salt and sugar until warm and all the salt and sugar has been dissolved.
- Put the sliced cabbage in a bowl and pour over the hot vinegar. Stir to combine and leave to sit while you prepare the rest.
- Heat the spicy black beans if you need.
- In a bowl, put the sliced cherry tomatoes, the chopped coriander, the minced garlic, the sliced green onions, a pinch of salt, and squeeze the juice out of a segment of lime over the top. Add a drizzle of olive oil if you like, and stir to combine.
- In each bowl, add a portion of quinoa (I do about three-quarters of a cup per person) and top with the spicy black beans, some of the tomato salsa, some of the cabbage, and the rest of the toppings you require. Eat with a massive grin!
Keywords: spicy black beans, burrito bowls, vegetarian burrito bowls,
WIN a Global Takashi Knife Block from Your Home Depot, worth $1199.00 [ended]
Thanks to Your Home Depot (which I’ve spent a lot of time on lately, filling up my wishlist to have delivered directly to my door, haha), one of you could win a Global Takashi 10-Piece Knife Block, which includes:
- 1 x Global 8cm Paring Knife GSF15
- 1 x Global 10cm Paring Straight Knife GS6
- 1 x Global 11cm Utility Knife GSF22
- 1 x Global 14cm Vegetable Knife GS5
- 1 x Global 16cm Flexiable Boning Knife G21
- 1 x Global 20cm Cooks Knife G2
- 1 x Global 21cm Kitchen Shears GKS210
- 1 x Global 22cm Bread Knife G9
- 1 x Global 22cm Ceramic Sharpener G74
- 1 x Global Bamboo Cutlery Storage Block
Each piece is handcrafted, resistant to corrosion and stains, and comes with a lifetime warranty.
For your chance to win, please fill out the form below. A winner will be chosen at random.
Entry is for Australian residents only, one entry per person. See here for full terms and conditions.
Entries close Wednesday, September 9 at 5pm. Winner will be notified by email and will appear in this blog post.
Good luck! And feel free to share with your friends and family who might need a little new knife action in their lives.
Competition has now ended. Thank you for entering, and congrats to Louisa G!
You are welcome to join the mailing list of Your Home Depot to be alerted to further deals and competitions (sign up here), or to the Veggie Mama mailing list for recipe tips, meal plans, news, and further competitions – sign up here!