My politics might lean left, but I lean directly into these sweet, chewy/crunchy, oaty coconut choc chip cookies.
- 3/4 cups unsalted butter
- 3/4 cups sugar
- 3/4 cups brown sugar
- 2 Medium eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1.5 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 tablespoon baking soda
- 1/2 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 cup desiccated coconut
- 3/4 cups rolled oats
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 150C.
- With your butter at room temperature, add the sugars and beat together until creamy.
- Add eggs and vanilla, stir to combine.
- Add flour, baking powder, and baking soda. Stir the baking powder and soda in to the flour a little bit to mix before adding cinnamon and salt.
- Stir until mixed thoroughly.
- Add coconut, oats, and chocolate chips. Stir until combined.
- Line two cookie sheets with baking paper. Drop mix by tablespoonsful onto the paper. (the original recipe says 1/4 cup of cookie dough, which would make some huge cookies. They’d be good though!)
- Bake for 10 minutes and check – if they look very brown, take them out. If they are still pale-ish, swap the cookie sheets over and cook a further 5 minutes until golden brown. Overcooking will make them crunchy, and these cookies really are at their best when chewy.
- Leave to cool on the sheet for a minute or two before transferring to a wire rack.
Keywords: choc-chip cookies, laura bush's cookies, texas governor's mansion cowboy cookies, laura bush choc chip cookies, cowboy cookies