When you want a creamy, smoky, thick, chunky soup on a cold winter’s day, then throw this vegan split pea soup in the crock pot and you’ll thank me!
- 1 large onion, diced small
- 1 large stalk celery, diced small
- 1 medium carrot, diced small
- 2 large cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1 cup green split peas
- 1 cup yellow split peas
- 5 cups homemade vegetable stock
- 1 large bay leaf
- salt and pepper
- Sweat the onion, celery, carrot and garlic over low heat for 20 minutes, until it caramelises and the flavour deepens.
- Add paprika for the last few minutes (this can be a bit of a drag if you’re just looking to throw everything in the crock pot and go, but is much nicer. By all means, throw and go, though!
- Put the sauteed veggies into the crock pot with the split peas, the thyme, stock, bay leaf, salt and pepper, and cook on low for 6 hours. You don’t want any bite in the split peas at all, they should have simmered into a thick mush (add extra stock or water if too thick).
- Check for seasoning and don’t be afraid to be liberal with the salt if you have used a homemade stock.