Got a craving for the lemony mashed potato fried cakes part of fish cakes? Me too. These vegetarian fish cakes should fill the gap.
- 200g cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 4 Large potatoes, boiled and mashed
- 2 Large eggs
- 1/2 Medium lemon, zested
- 2 tablespoons plain flour
- 1 cup cornmeal polenta
- 1/2 cup finely diced celery (optional)
- 2 Small shallots, finely diced (or regular onion)
- 2 stalks green onions, sliced thinly
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley (dried is fine, just use a little less)
- In a large bowl, roughly mash the cannellini beans.
- Add the rest of the ingredients (except cornmeal) and stir to combine.
- Form into patties, roll in the cornflour, and chill in the fridge (overnight is best, but I made some after 30 minutes and they were great).
- Heat a large pan over medium heat, and add some butter and olive oil. Fry patties gently for about 8 minutes each side until golden and crispy, and cooked through.
- Serve with an extra wedge of lemon and your favourite sauce.