A bloody good all-rounder chilli sauce. The right ratio of heat to flavour.
- 12 red chillies, chopped (don’t deseed because this is hot chilli sauce, OK?!)
- 2 onions, peeled and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 3–4 teaspoons chilli powder
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 6 super-ripe plum tomatoes peeled and chopped or 440g tinned
- 150ml apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup apple juice
- Blitz the chillies, onion, garlic and salt in a food processor until basically a paste.
- Turn out into a frying pan with the oil gently heating in it, and sweat for about 10 minutes.
- Add the chilli powder and sugar and cook another 10 mins.
- Add the tomatoes, apple cider vinegar, and apple juice and simmer 20 minutes or so
- Blend until smooth (I use a stick blender), taste for seasoning. If it’s not hot enough (yes, really), add more chilli powder. Remember when it’s eaten cold it won’t have the same flavour and can lose a bit so ensure it’s flavourful.
- Pour into hot, sterilised bottles or jars and leave to cool, preferably overnight.
Keywords: hot chilli sauce, easy chilli sauce, homemade chilli sauce, chilli sauce for canning,