I don’t know where y’all are, but it is STILL freezing in Melbourne. Last night I was huddling under a blanket and I’ve been walking around with constant cold feet. We can still eat soup here, people. Soup in December. SOUP, I tell you! If you’re cold too, you might like to warm up with this Potato and Cabbage soup – or Pin it for when the cooler weather hits!
If, like me, you are thinking – cabbage soup with lime? WTF? I totally understand. I did too, at first. And then I made it, and added sour cream and coriander, and whaddya know? This thing is GOOD.
I had only been in Melbourne a few months, and was regularly getting the Whole Larder Love veggie boxes. When Ro means “seasonal”, he means “seasonal“. We had more cabbage than we knew what to do with.
I started Pinning all the European recipes I could find for cabbage and potato staples. When I came across one that had cabbage and potato mixed with jalapeno and lime I was intrigued, but kind of freaked out. Remember?
I made it basically the same way as this recipe, but without the broccoli and recommended parsley or dill. I mashed some of the potato to make a heartier-looking soup and let it all simmer down to a delightful bowl of warmth. The lime really makes a huge difference, and I know what will be my go-to when Ro starts up the boxes again next year.
Is it hot where you are? I know it’s meant to be summer in the Southern Hemisphere, but it’s forgotten us down here in Melbs 🙂Print
Cabbage and Potato soup with a Jalapeno Lime Twist – I was super-surprised at the ingredients in this one, but it really works.
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 4 carrots, peeled and diced
- 4 Roma tomatoes, diced
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and diced
- 4 medium potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 small cabbage, quartered and sliced
- Salt & Pepper
- juice of one lime
- Coriander and sour cream
- Heat oil in a frying pan over medium high heat, and saute the onion, carrots, tomatoes, and jalapeno for about 15 minutes, stirring regularly, until the veg softens and picks up some colour.
- Meanwhile, boil the potatoes in water to just cover, until they are soft.
- Add the cabbage and sauteed veg to the potatoes and water.
- Simmer a minute or two until the cabbage is softened
- Mash a little with a potato masher to break some of the potatoes down and thicken the soup.
- Add the lime juice, and season with salt and pepper (chilli powder here is good too).
- Serve with sour cream and coriander on top – TRUST ME.
Adapted from here.
Keywords: polish potato soup, potato and cabbage soup,