A creamy, cheesy sauce on a crisp-yet-chewy pizza base. Five stars.
- 1/2–3/4 cup parmesan-style cheese (I usually use South Cape brand)
- 1 pinch each salt and pepper (use quite a bit of salt if your cheese isn’t very strong)
- 1 1/3 cup Warm water
- 7g sachet dried yeast
- 1 cup wholemeal flour
- 2.5 cups white flour (I usually use pizza flour but use whatever you have)
- tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1–2 tablespoon butter
- 3/4 cups pouring cream
- 2 handfuls spinach (fresh or frozen is fine, I’ve made this pizza with both)
- I put my ingredients in the breadmaker in this order: water + yeast, leave 10minutes. Add flour, honey, olive oil, salt.
- Turn to “dough” setting. If making in a mixer, mix until combined, about 5 minutes. Leave in an oiled bowl to rise about an hour, until doubled in size.
- This makes about 2 large (16-inch) pizzas or 3 small, so divide your dough. Roll out on a floured bench to the size of your pizza tray.
- Place in a super-hot pre-heated oven (about 250C) for five minutes, on the middle + top racks. They should be just starting to get golden brown, and may rise a bit. It’s fine if they do.
- Take your pizzas out, top them with the sauce and the spinach (and extra cheese if you feel the need, but I find the sauce is cheese enough, and I can’t believe I just said that). Pop them back in the oven for another 5-10 mintues, until golden brown and cooked through.
- For the sauce (this makes one pizza, double it if you’re using it for both pizzas from the dough), melt the butter in a frying pan. Add the cream and turn on to high until the cream reduces slightly – it should bubble fairly thickly. I leave it about 5 minutes. You want it quite thick so it stays on the pizza when you eat it.
- Add the grated cheese and check for seasoning. It should fairly blow your head off, and if it doesn’t, add more cheese or a little salt.
- Leave to cool for a minute or two, then add to your pizza. follow the above instructions.
- When your pizza is ready, leave it to cool for a few minutes so the cheese isn’t so runny. Cut into slices, and eat until you feel sick.
Keywords: spinach and cheese pizza, alfredo sauce for pizza, pizza with alfredo sauce,